Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ellie Remembers Pop Pop


Q – What is your first memory of Pop Pop?

A – He was a quiet, peaceful guy. I remember me and Pop Pop going picking peas. We went to his garden and he showed me all the things he planted and he said, “This is what we are going to pick today.” And he showed me how to snap them and I watched.
Q – What else do you remember about him?

A – He loved sweets. He ate Moon Pies for breakfast and always had pop tarts for us. He loved to give gifts so he gave me a lot of the Little Bear movies.

Q – When did he come to live with us?

A – After he had his heart attack.

Q – And how did you feel about that?

A – Happy. Excited, because I got to live with him and take care of him. He could tell stories.

Q – What is your favorite memory of Pop Pop?

A – When he went camping with us. Actually no. I loved when you would read Little House on the Prairie to us and he would tell us stories about what he would do with his pa.

Q – Do you remember any of those stories?

A – When mom would read about Ma churning stuff, Pop Pop would say, “My mama did that too.” One time we were reading about how Pa killed a panther and Pop Pop said, “I did that.” And he told us a story about when he killed a panther too. Oh, and I remember we had to listen to the history channel 24/7.

Q - Did he ever do anything that was funny?

A – At breatkfast and he would say, “Red, White and Blue and sometimes Yellow” and I would just say, “Umhmm. That’s right Pop Pop.” He would say that because he was confused. All those toxins inside of him would make him confused. And we would clean his dentures at night.

Q – How did it make you feel having Pop Pop live with us?

A – Sometimes challenging. Sometimes fun.

Q – What was challenging?

A- Like we had to go to dialysis a lot. We had to go here and there a lot. We didn’t always get to do what we wanted to.

Q – What was fun about it?

A – Being a help to Pop Pop and filling up his fruit and candy bowl at night. Listening to him tell stories.

Q – Are you glad he got to live with us before he died?

A – Yes. Otherwise he probably would have hurt himself. And that way he wouldn’t be lonely and he had relationships with us.

Q – When you are a grown up, would you bring daddy to live with you if he was sick?

A – Ummhmm. Because I know I could do a lot for him and I would want him to feel better.

Q – How did you feel when Pop Pop died?

A – Sad. The house seemed quieter. Nothing was very normal.

Q – What would you tell another little girl who might be dealing with her grandfather’s death or sickness?

A – That it’s OK and that if he is a Christian you may see him again in heaven.

Q – What do you miss most about Pop Pop?

A – Taking care of him and his stories.

Q – Anything else you want to share about Pop Pop or the ism of grief?

A – I don’t think so. I remember at the funeral that some people couldn’t even talk they were so sad. I kind of felt sorry for them. And mom was very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment