Friday, September 10, 2010

Victories Via Ellie



Q – What does victory mean to you?
A – That I overcome something. Like getting my blood taken. Did you tell about the Victory Jar yet?
Q – No, why don’t you tell them about it.
A - It’s a jar you put your victories in. It is a jar that if we overcome something we remember that by writing them down on these rocks and putting it there. It is like this Bible story about Joshua where they put these rocks down to remember what God had done.
Q – What kind of victories do you put in the jar?


A - One time I was eating ice cream – that was before the diet. (Said with a grin) I spilled some on the ipod and that time (usually I would have an explosion over something like that) I was calm and I didn’t explode.

Q- How do feel about the victory jar?

A – I like it. It helps me be encouraged.
Q – Tell me about some of the other victories in the jar.

A – There is one that says “blood” – that is when I got my blood done. There is one there called “water on lap.” Usually I cannot pass through my day when I had spilled water, but now that is fine. Oh, and going to sleepovers - That used to be a big issue like being scared or something, but that night I wasn’t. And that one time that I swallowed that one capsule. I still can’t do it, but I did it that one time.

Big smile after 11 vials of blood for more allergy testing. Can you say victory?

Q – What about some of your recent victories?

A – Going to the Fox Theater to see the Sound of Music with a whole lot of crowds. Used to I would get anxious and not be able to do it. And my ears don’t hurt so much any more because it doesn’t seem so loud.

Q - Would you consider gymnastics a victory?

A - Oh yes, I love gymnastics. If I fall I just get right back up. On my first day, I was not shy. All my other classmates were shy, but I was like, “Come on guys!”

Q - What about the fair the other day?

A - The fair was a big victory too. Lots of people, lots of noises, lots of things. Lots of cotton candy (said with a laugh). Even though I didn’t ride any of the rides at the fair, I had a good time. I told ya’ll I’d rather have the money for the rides and spend it on something I really want.

A - I go to Sunday School now too. I used to NEVER go before because it was too much. And I used to meltdown every time after I got home cause they would feed us donuts all the time. They still do. I just tell them I don’t want them.

Q - Why do you think having victory is important?

A – That’s so I can do so much more and surprisingly one victory is over my worries. They have gone away. And now my logic kicks in more. The other day a babysitter got freaked out by a noise, and I said, “What’s the most logical answer?” It turned out to be the radio. It was funny that I wasn’t the one freaking out. I used my logic instead. (Having a babysitter versus having to be with mommy 24/7 is a victory too in our world :)

A - And I used to always sit in the back seats at Echo with earplugs, and now I sit at the front with no ear plugs. (Echo is the college Bible study Rob leads – very contemporary – very loud worship and very large – about 800 people.)

Enjoying Echo with NO earplugs!

Q - What do you think has helped you to have these victories?

A - My diet, Mrs. Becky (Christian counselor), Mrs. Jill (occupational therapist), my mom and dad, and God. And sports too. Remember when I did the high bar and swung into the pit? Used to I would have never done that, and now it’s just fine.

Q - What helps you to have victories in certain situations?

A – I just kind of push through – things like crowds just don’t bother me anymore – except when I can’t hear anyone. That really frustrates me.

Q - Are there times when it is still hard to have victory?

A - Yes. Like swallowing capsules. It’s frustrating.

Q - Do you ever feel like giving up?

A - Yup, but my mom makes me cause she knows someday I will have victory over it. (Mom now wiping away tears – didn’t see that one coming.)
Q – Any other victories or things about victory you want to share?

A - Nope – Oh yes, when we went tubing and I tried to hold on. A friend had warned me that it could be scary, and I was a little scared, even when I fell off, but I didn’t meltdown. I just thought – “Whew, that was scary!”
Oh and the sting rays at the beach – that was scary, but I didn’t meltdown. (They were actually only a few feet from her feet – daddy was the one who nearly melted down.)



In gymnastics this is called a "tada!" And captures this season of our lives.

2 comments: