Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Missin' My Daddy Ism


If we are maintaining that our definition of "ism" is something that challenges us, but God is helping us through, then I am suffering today from "missin' my daddyism." With your permission, we'd like to spend a few days remembering him and his gifts to us.

It was three years ago today that I sat on my daddy's bed, holding his hand, coaching him through the last moments of his life. At the exact moment daddy decided it was time to let go and be with the Lord, Blessed Assurance (the Third Day version) was playing in the background. Incredibly poignant timing - and incredibly hard to listen to - even now.

I've spent the last 24 hours in my first pilgrimage back to his grave since his funeral. I've never been much on staring at tombstones and talking to people who aren't really there. But this year, I felt the need to go touch it, see it, and be near it. In all honesty this is the first time in almost 2 years that I thought a trip like this was even possible. Grief held me back the first year. Our isms at home held me back the next. Finally grief is in its proper place and isms seem to be in their's.

From the year 2005-2008, our family experienced more than its share of grief - we lost my brother, my dad and a cousin, almost simultaneously - and I have found myself just sort of "done" with grief. Kinda tired of being so intimately familiar with it. But like everything else God allows in my life, I know, in my head at least, that grieving is part of living and part of trusting. And perhaps more importantly - temporary - eternally speaking. But on days like today, it certainly isn't about what I know in my head. It's about what I feel. I FEEL like I miss his sweetness, his kindness, his gentleness, his hidden humor. I FEEL like the world is an emptier place without him. I FEEL like I was better, truer, more centered when he was near. I FEEL like 79 years weren't enough years for such a man as my father.

But what I KNOW is that separation from him, like my grief, is only temporary. I KNOW that our days are numbered and his were perfectly completed. I KNOW that the inheritance my father gave me is greater than any I could have asked for. He left a legacy of James 1:19 - "be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to become angry." I met a man today who knew my father for most of his life and his memories of him are like so many others.

"I don't think I ever knew Tom to be angry about anything."

I agreed.


I knew him to live through pain, sorrow, betrayal, near poverty, and sickness without the need for anger. That is not to say my daddy was a saint by any means. Daddy had his shortcomings, insecurities and I dare say "isms" like the rest of us, but I don't know of anyone who was quicker to listen, slower to speak and even slower to become angry no matter what life threw at him.


I am missing my daddy today. I cried big tears for him at his very modest grave. I told him how convicted I feel that I fall so short, so often, of his beautiful legacy. I confessed how I have strived to be slower to anger in these last few years, but it has been increasingly difficult as so much has been asked and so much has been taken away. I am missing my daddy today. And my sweet Abba Father comforts me in His grace with the blessing that the words that rang out on that day 3 years ago are just as true right now:

Blessed Assurance - Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation, purchase of God
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight. Visions of rapture now burst on my sight; angels descending bring from above - echoes of mercy, whispers of love.


Perfect submission, all is at rest; I in my Savior am happy and blest, watching and waiting, looking above, filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

5 comments:

  1. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in our troubles , so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Cor 1:3

    He says, "The royal daughter is all glorious within." And I know the joy you brought your daddy and the joy you bring your Abba, living into His legacy. May you be comforted today, in the way only Christ can comfort. For you surely "scatter abroad" your gifts to the poor. Thank you for boldly living your testimony and for freely sharing the comfort you have received in walking through the trials. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and so good - you have a gift to write and a gift for people. It was so special to see you with ANdy's grandmother while you were here. She really enjoyed your visit. Still trying to figure out the connections. Bless her heart - at 96 I'm sure that the mind is clouded. Love you girl, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nise, thank you for your sweet honest words that never cease to amaze me and bring tears to my eyes! You have a beautiful transparent heart! Your words bring me healing and hope!

    Your daddy was so funny, I will never forget when you and I were teaching a hormone class in your hometown church and I got to talking with him about the hormone cream and he said "now Cindy, I am too old to join your Arbonne team, so don't try to recruit me"..... I thought I would die laughing.... His face was bright and eyes crystal clear as we laughed together, him in his cute overalls!

    We all got "isms" that is for sure! Better to laugh at them, call them what they are then to sweep them under the table.

    I love you sweet friend! Your sister in Jesus, Cindy

    "The Lord is my refuge when I am oppressed, my stronghold in times of trouble. I know you by name, sweet Jesus, and i trust you, for you have never forsaken me when I seek you" Psalm 9:9-10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad sounds like an incredible man... just started reading your blog today - looking forward to following along...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your father must have been amazing man. And you, Denise, are an amazing daughter. You speak of your father with so much love and respect and about how taking care of him in the end was a gift to YOU. I've only read a couple of your posts, it's sort of hard to know what to say while wiping the tears from my face. You have a gift for putting your thoughts and feelings into words. Your husband and your daughters are blessed to have such a loving and giving wife/mother.

    ReplyDelete